Hair loss and baldness are the common problems of many people and due to various reasons, they spill over time, causing sparseness and baldness. Hair loss makes people unhappy in terms of aesthetics and causes self-confidence problems. Hair transplantation offers a permanent, natural solution to men and women who suffer from hair loss and baldness.
What Is Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is the process of transferring hair follicles taken from the donor area, where the hair is dense and healthy, to the bald area. Hair follicles are placed in the channels opened to the bald area. The donor area is genetically determined as the nape area that is resistant to hair loss. Since the hair follicles in this area are resistant to shedding, they do not shed again after the hair transplant procedure, which ensures that the hair transplant is permanent.
How To Do Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is the process of taking hair follicles from the donor area and transferring them to the bald part for people experiencing hair loss and baldness. Basically, hair transplantation is the process of taking healthy hair follicles from the determined donor area and transplanting them into the opened channels. However, some developing techniques do not have a channel opening phase.
Hair transplantation is a micro-aesthetic surgery performed under local anesthesia. In order to prevent the risks that occur in every surgical operation, hair transplantation should be done by doctors who are experts in this field. Thanks to the local anesthesia applied, the patient does not feel any pain during the procedure.
What Is Hair Root And Graft?
The part located at the bottom of the hair strand and embedded in the adipose tissue is called the hair root. The part where the hair cells are located and which allows the hair to grow out is called the hair root.
A graft is the name given to a piece of tissue with a nerve and vascular connection taken from the hair or any part of the body. Nerves and vessels in the graft structure provide nutrition to the hair. In hair transplantation, the process of removing the hair together with the skin is called graft removal. Grafts are separated into single or double hair follicles by separating them.
What Should Be Considered While Performing Hair Transplantation?
In the planning stage of hair transplantation, the design should be made according to the facial structure and head structure of the person. The structure of the hair and the personal wishes of the patient should also be taken into account when performing hair transplantation. In order to get a natural result from hair transplantation, the front line of the hair and the direction of transplantation must be calculated correctly.
Determination Of Forehead-Hairline
Determining the forehead-hairline is very important to obtain a natural and suitable appearance after hair transplantation treatment. The shape of the front hairline is different in men and women. While the front hairline is more rounded in women, it is M-shaped and sharper in men. The front hairline is the border area where hair transplantation will be performed in the doctor. Considerations when determining the front hairline for hair transplantation;
- The distance between the nose and the eyebrow,
- The distance between the front hairline and the eyebrows,
- The distance to the end of the nose lip and chin,
- Compatibility and joint calculation of these distances,
- Patient’s personal wishes,
- The patient’s facial structure, age and appearance of other hairs,
How Is Hair Transplant Direction Determined?
It is extremely important to determine the planting direction of the hair follicles correctly in the hair transplantation stage to achieve a natural appearance. Since determining the direction of hair will affect the direction of hair growth after transplantation, attention should be paid to the direction of hair growth during hair transplantation. Things to consider when determining the direction of transplantation in hair transplantation operations;
- The direction of the patient’s existing hair and the direction of the channels to be opened should be the same. Thus, when the new hair grows, it is in harmony with the old hair and a natural appearance is obtained.
- During hair transplantation, the angle of the channels at the border of the hairline should be 30 degrees and forward, and the canal angle in the temple area should be 45 degrees on both sides.
- The hair in the crown area can protrude in different directions. For this reason, the direction of hair growth in the crown area should be followed. The hair in the crown area should be planted according to the direction of the other hair growth. However, in some patients, there is no hair in the crown area. In such a case, the channels should be determined at 30-45 degree angles from the middle to the outside.
What Are The Growth Stages Of Hair Follicles?
Hair follicles have certain growth stages. After the growth phase, which consists of 3 stages, is completed, the hair falls out and new hair grows. The growth phase of hair follicles is;
- Anogen Phase: it is the first growth phase of hair follicles. 85% of hair is at this stage. However, it is not clear which hair is in which phase. In the first stage, the hair grows about 10 cm and an average of 1 cm is seen every month. The Anogen phase of the hair lasts about 2-6 years.
- Catogenous Phase: it is the second phase of the growth phase. The catogen phase lasts about 3-4 weeks. At the end of these 3-4 weeks, the development of hair follicles regresses and the growth phase is completed. This phase is known as the transition phase.
- Telogen Phase: hair growth It is the last stage of the reproductive stages. When the telogen phase ends, the hair follicles begin the first phase again. At this stage, the hair follicles do not fall out, only the hair strands fall out, and the hair follicle under the skin remains intact, and new hair begins to grow in place of the lost hair.
How Is The First Wash Done After Hair Transplantation?
The first wash is very important for the success of the operation and a quick recovery after hair transplantation. The first wash after hair transplantation is done on the 2nd or 3rd day after the operation. The first wash is done by the doctor for the success of hair transplantation. Special lotions and shampoos are used in the process.
In the first wash, lotion is applied first and left for a certain period of time. After the waiting period expires, the first wash is performed with a special shampoo. This sensitivity is very important so that the transplanted hair follicles do not fall out.
After the first wash, the patient does the washing himself. Hair should be washed once a day for 10-15 days using lotions and shampoos. How the patient will wash is described by the doctor. The lotions used are important for the healing of the canals.